COVID-19 Info:

The Basin Business Advisors Program is endeavoring to compile resources and support the business community in this challenging time.

There is a lot of information and it can feel overwhelming.

Please get in touch with the Advisor in your area if you have questions. We are here to help you navigate the changing environment. We don’t pretend to know everything available but will do our best to find answers and help you understand the impacts on your business. We can help you plan and be as proactive as possible.

Find your Advisor here.


What can I do to prepare to apply for government support?

Updated March 26, 2020

At this time, it looks like the governments will be using your  CRA “My Business Account” and Service Canada accounts to have people apply for support. These are suggestions to be prepared:

  • Set up a “My Business Account” with CRA (Canada Revenue Agency).
  • If you already have one make sure you can log in to it.
  • If you cannot log in or are registering a new account, CRA will need to mail you (physical mail, not email) a PIN. This takes time so do it now.
  • Sign up for or make sure you can log in at Service Canada.
  • All individuals have a Service Canada account. If you need an access code it will be physically mailed to you, this takes time. Here is the link for requesting an access code.
  • Having these accounts in place is proactive for dealing with the government but may not be all you need to do. Also, keep in mind their systems are overwhelmed, you may be asked to try again if their systems are down.
  • Start documenting everything. Dates you changed hours or closed, staff changes, when you called your insurance company, when the provincial or federal government created directives and how you followed them or reacted to them. Document lost revenue from canceled or postponed contracts or orders.
  • You should suggest your employees register with Service Canada so as not to delay any EI support.

Am I eligible for the Temporary Wage Subsidy?

You are an eligible employer if you:

  • are a non-profit organization, registered charity, or a Canadian-controlled private corporation (CCPC);
  • have an existing business number and payroll program account with the CRA on March 18, 2020; and
  • pay salary, wages, bonuses, or other remuneration to an employee.

Note: CCPCs are only eligible for the subsidy if their taxable capital employed in Canada for the preceding taxation year, calculated on an associated group basis, is less than $15 million.

For more information please go to:

If you are a sole proprietor or partnership that has employees, you are not eligible at this time to access the Temporary Wage Subsidy.

This section is specific to ROEs (Record of Employment):

How do I fill out an ROE?

Service Canada provides a comprehensive guide to completing ROEs.  Employers should follow this guide to ensure accuracy when completing ROEs.  You can download the guide at Service Canada also provides a helpline for filling out ROEs at 1-800-367-5693.

FAQ – What reason do I give on the ROE from Block 16 regarding the layoff?

If you are laying off staff for any reason you must use the appropriate Code in Box 16.

Specific codes to use due to Covid-19 are:

If your employee is under quarantine or self-quarantine due to Covid-19, please use Code “D” for illness or injury

If your employees are out of work due to temporarily closing your whole business or parts of your business, please use Code “A” for Shortage of Work.

If your employee is refusing to report to work due to the risk of exposure to Covid-19, please use Code “N” for leave of absence.

Other codes apply for different circumstances such as Maternity, Dismissal, Quit, etc., so use the appropriate code on

Important: When issuing an ROE do not put anything into Box 18 – Comments section. Any comments will remove the ROE from the automated process and will delay the processing of the claim.

When do I have to issue an ROE?

Employers must issue an ROE within 5 calendar days of the interruption of earnings or the date the employer becomes aware of an interruption of earnings. OR if issuing electronic ROEs, you have up to five calendar days after the end of the pay period in which an employee’s interruption of earnings occurs.

An interruption of earnings occurs when an employee:

  1. Quits
  2. Is laid off or terminated
  3. Has had, or is anticipated to have, 7 consecutive calendar days with no work & no insurable earnings from the employer.
  4. Has a salary that falls below 60% of regular weekly earnings because of illness, injury, quarantine, pregnancy, caring for newborn or adopted children, or providing support to a family member who is gravely ill with a significant risk of death.

Exceptions:  The 7-day rule for an interruption of earnings does not apply in the following cases:  Real estate agents; employees who have non-standard work schedules; commission salespeople

Regardless of whether or not the employee intends to file a claim for EI benefits, the employer must issue an ROE:  each time an employee experiences an interruption of earnings; or when Service Canada requests one.

For part-time, on-call, or casual workers, an ROE does not have to be issued for each interruption except when:

  1. The employee requests one (and there has been an interruption of earnings)
  2. The employee is no longer considered “active”
  3. The ROE is requested by Service Canada
  4. The employee has not worked or had insurable earnings in the last thirty days

How do I get access to the ROE forms?

The preferred method is Electronic ROEs

In order to use ROE Web, you must have a My Business Account with Canada Revenue Agency.

If you do not have an account set up yet, information on registering for a My Business Account with CRA is found here:

Once you have your CRA account set up, you will be able to sign into ROE Web and complete the electronic ROE

Ordering Paper ROE Forms

Employers must communicate with the Employer Contact Centre to order paper ROE forms. Service Canada no longer accepts orders for paper ROE forms by fax or mail.

When you call, you will be asked to provide the following information:

  • Your 15-character Payroll Account Number (PAN) is issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). The PAN can be found on the CRA PD7A (Statement of account for current source deductions) form. If you do not have a PAN, you will have to request one from CRA, and
  • The name, address, and telephone number of your business.