Our objective is to work with primary producers throughout the Columbia Basin to help strengthen their farm businesses. We provide free, confidential business counselling and assessment services to help identify issues and opportunities.
We recognize that operating a profitable agriculture business requires a different set of skills than running a conventional business. Growing or producing the product efficiently is just the start of operating a successful farm business. Our Agriculture Specialist helps primary producers with the business of operating their farm.
Common areas of support include:
- cost of production analysis;
- preparing for financing;
- cash flow and financial management;
- financial analysis;
- developing “go to market” plans;
- business and strategic planning;
- distribution analysis;
- human resources;
- general business viability (current operations or growth);
- market research;
- succession planning; and others.
We can help you with the business of agriculture!
*Please note our program does not provide any form of financial assistance including loans or grants.
Your business must be:
- headquartered in the Columbia Basin map;
- a for-profit agriculture business that is actively conducting business and earning revenue;
- a non-profit operating a social enterprise farm and earning revenue;
- in compliance with all Canadian laws and regulations; and
- registered and have a business number.
What types of businesses are ineligible?
- concept or start-up businesses that have not generated revenue including social enterprises farms.
Not sure if you’re eligible? Contact Us and we can talk about it!
Consulting Cost Sharing
Our Agriculture Specialist may recommend the services of an independent business consultant to provide further analysis and recommendations on a specific area of business management. The BBA program provides a contribution to the cost of specialized business consulting services on a case by case basis.
Kootenay Boundary Farm Advisors
Our Agriculture Specialist works closely with the Kootenay Boundary Farm Advisors program. Their program provides technical extension services and the “science of farming”.
Ready to get started?
Each business is required to complete our online application form. The information gathered helps our Advisors to determine your businesses’ eligibility. Once we receive your application form, an Advisor will be in touch to further discuss your needs.
Apply for services, we’ll be in touch!
If you are a Social Enterprise, you may want to check out this page.
Non-agriculture businesses, check out this page.