The COVID-19 pandemic is changing the way we do business and the way we live. The agriculture industry is more important than ever, keeping the supply of food moving in our regions. The public is primed to hear from you, to support you, to buy from you!
We recognize that growing or producing the product efficiently is just the start of operating a successful farm business. Our Agriculture Specialist, Nyree Marsh, helps primary producers with the business of operating their farm. Everything from supply chain, to packaging, to human resources, to marketing and distribution and everything in between, she is a problem solver and passionate.
In this high season of activity your time is precious. We understand that and will not waste your time. Nyree Marsh is excellent at helping to diagnose quick fixes and longer term projects. She has operated farm and food businesses and understands your situation.
This service is free, confidential and useful. When possible Nyree will come to you but most likely a virtual meeting will be established. It is a very effective way to communicate.
Common areas of support include:
- digital marketing (social media);
- distribution methods (farmers markets, farm gate, selling online, other opportunities);
- cash flow and financial management;
- safety plans;
- simple book keeping;
- cost of production analysis;
- preparing for financing;
- business and strategic planning;
- human resources;
- general business viability (current operations or growth);
- market research;
- succession planning; and others.
We can help you with the business of agriculture!
Learn more about our Agriculture Advisor here.
*Please note our program does not provide any form of financial assistance including loans or grants.
Your business must be:
- headquartered in the Columbia Basin map;
- a for-profit agriculture business that is actively conducting business and earning revenue;
- a non-profit operating a social enterprise farm and earning revenue;
- in compliance with all Canadian laws and regulations; and
- registered and have a business number.
What types of businesses are ineligible?
- concept or start-up businesses that have not generated revenue including social enterprises farms.
Not sure if you’re eligible? Contact Us and we can talk about it!
Consulting Cost Sharing
Our Agriculture Specialist may recommend the services of an independent business consultant to provide further analysis and recommendations on a specific area of business management. The BBA program provides a contribution to the cost of specialized business consulting services on a case by case basis.
Kootenay Boundary Farm Advisors
Our Agriculture Specialist works closely with the Kootenay Boundary Farm Advisors program. Their program provides technical extension services and the “science of farming”.
Ready to get started?
Each business is required to complete our online application form. The information gathered helps our Advisors to determine your businesses’ eligibility. Once we receive your application form, an Advisor will be in touch to further discuss your needs.
Apply for services, we’ll be in touch!
If you are a Social Enterprise, you may want to check out this page.
Non-agriculture businesses, check out this page.