Cash Flow 101: Making Decisions
This one hour webinar style workshop will be an overview of how to create a cash flow plan that you can then use to make informed decisions in your business. You’ll also learn some simple tricks for managing your cash to make sure you can always meet your commitments, pay your taxes and at a glance know how much ‘extra’ money you have.
Whether you are trying to decide if you can afford to purchase a new piece of equipment, hire someone, or are creating a marketing budget, having a cash flow spreadsheet that shows where you’ve been, where you are and what is possible is one of the best tools in the toolbox for planning and decision making.
Operating without a method for managing and tracking cash flow is like trying to drive to a destination without knowing how far and what direction to go… you’ll get somewhere but it will be by accident if it’s somewhere good and even more by chance if it is recognizable and you have gas in the tank.
A cash flow plan is key to making decisions such as:
- how much does it cost me every month to operate?
- what is my break even sales number… which leads to how many ‘units’ is that?
- am I spending the right amount on marketing to get the sales I need to make a profit?
- what are my biggest expenses? are there places I am wasting money?
- can I afford to hire someone?
- how much can I pay myself?
If you want to grow your business, slowly or quickly, a cash flow plan is KEY to success:
- how much more inventory do I need to make more sales… do I have a realistic expectation of turnover or is that wishful thinking?
- am I spending enough on marketing to get those sales? What is the industry standard for marketing spend? How do I compare?
- if I invest money from a loan, can I make the loan payments and operate in a way to increase profit?
A cash flow plan can also lead you to see the holes in your operation:
- what are my cost of goods?
- if I sell more will I make more profit or just go broke faster?
- where should I be focusing my time – which stream of revenue is the best focus?
- if I hire someone I better make sure they can improve profit enough to pay their way… how do I figure that out?
- with all my expenses how much profit is there in this operation?
Going through the what if scenario of a cash flow spreadsheet helps you understand how long you can hang on with less income and help you decide if it is time to shut the doors for good. This is a tough decision but by using your head it goes a long way to overcoming the hurt. Sometimes shutting down is the right decision.
We will review:
- The difference between cash flow planning and book keeping.
- How to create, update and interpret a cash flow spreadsheet.
- Simple ways to manage cash day to day to meet your commitments.
This is a topic that the BBA Advisors work on with nearly every client, it is that important. If you can’t make the workshop apply for service and work through it with an Advisor.
Workshop Cost: Free
There is no cost to attend but space is limited and pre-registration is required. This workshop is available to residents of the Columbia Basin. Not sure if you are in the region? Check out our map.
Workshop Delivery: Online
This workshop is delivered virtually using Zoom. You will need a Zoom account and access to a computer with video, sound, microphone and ideally a webcam. Learn about Zoom here.
An email will be sent to you with the Zoom link a day or so before the event. We have had a lot of emails go to people’s junk mail so check there if you haven’t received it. If you can’t find it email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll sort it out.
This is a 1-hour workshop. This is an introduction to the topic and there will be time to answer questions after the presentation.
- Tuesday, June 29, 2021: 12 pm – 1pm Pacific Time / 1pm – 2 pm Mountain Time
- Thursday, July 15, 2021: 12 pm – 1pm Pacific Time / 1pm – 2 pm Mountain Time
- Tuesday, August 31, 2021: 12 pm – 1pm Pacific Time / 1pm – 2 pm Mountain Time
- More dates to follow
Call for information or to register by phone: 1.855.510.2227.
If you need to cancel your registration please email email@example.com with the pertinent details.
Please be aware that some emails from the BBA Program are going to people’s junk mail folders. Please check this prior to contacting us to check on your registration.